Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Tutorial~Homespun Mannequin~


I have been wanting to get a child size mannequin for a long time. It may sound funny, but I thought it would be fun to display the clothes I made for Rachel in her room. Also, if I decided to do more open houses for Tea Rose Home, a mannequin would be a nice touch for the display. First of all, I never found one that I had in mind, the closest one was over hundred dollers. Umm... no thanks.

One day, I found this Torch stand at the clearance section in Target for $6.48(originally 12.99). The detailing is beautiful... I though, "What can I use this for?"... then, a light came in my head!


I can use this to make a mannequin! Just in case you want one, here is how I did it.

You will need:

Torch Stand
Wooden Dowel
One can of white spray paint(make sure that it is the kind that is made for metal and plastic)
Old blanket or Bath towels
Batting
Muslin
Iron or wood decorative top
Glue gun, needle and thread

How to:

1. Put the wooden dowel into the torch stand and tighten the screw. Spray paint the whole thing.


2. Cut several peices of 4" wide batting for the neck. Glue the first part to the dowel and start wrapping it tightly, until you get the thickness you want. You can either sew the end or glue it.


3. Using the same method, wrap the old towel or blanket to the dowel. I folded the old blanket and made it 15" tall for the body.


4. Add batting around the neck area to make a more natural and smooth look.


5. Cover the whole thing with batting. It was easier for me to sew it on to the body. I felt like I had more control and compared to using the glue gun, it is less permanent.


6. Cover the whole body with muslin. This part is a little tricky. Especially around the neck area. Sew the body part first, then the bottom and the top.


7. Around the neck area, you will need to cut some excess fabric off. Use the glue gun to secure the fabric to the top of the dowel as you make pleats.


8. I sewed lace around it.


9. Then, screw in the topper for the finishing touch.


10. Done!


and, the mannequin with some clothes on...


The whole thing cost me about 17.00 dollars. If you already have a torch stand or even a wooden standing coat hanger, you can make this a lot cheaper (Ladies go hunt in your garage or basement!). Although it is not perfect I love how it turned out! Apparently, Rachel liked it too, she started bringing some clothes to put on the mannequin. She and I played dolls this morning, it was a lot of fun!

42 comments :

  1. What a coincidence I was looking at mannequins yesterday on EBay.
    You have done a great job as usual.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most adorable thing I've ever seen! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How creative! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has got to be the creative winning idea of the week!
    I have bounced around ideas on this too, but never came up with anything.
    You did a great job...and saved lots of money!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too amazing!! I just had to feature this on the sidebar today. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute and so cool! I love mannequins and what a great tutorial! You're awesome! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable! Wish I had a little girl to make it for! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cute. I finally got one off of ebay that is regular size..I'd love a childs one.

    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I would have never thought to decorate with a mannequin, but I love it! I featured it somedaycrafts.blogspot.com Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute idea! I want to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun idea, I am a brand-new follower, I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my!! I love it, unfortunately my daughter wants a big one. I am planning on ordering a mannequin from this website one of my blogging buddies gave me. It is under $75, if you are interested let me know.
    2browneyedbeauties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. so cute!

    thanks for the tut!

    blessings

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-diy-vintage-insipired-child-sized-mannequin/2009/11/21/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's fantastic and SO creative! It makes me want to try it for our girls' room. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely fantastic!! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sachiko,
    you never cease to amaze me with your creaive ideas. This is so adoreable and would be absolutely charming to display at future shows.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just featured you on my blog! I love the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely amazing..and what a great job of showing us how..
    thank you , thank you!!

    love how you displayed it too

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so lovely.
    Thank you for the tutorial and comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial. You've inspired me to make one. Mine is not nearly as charming as yours but it is functional.

    http://langlangcreations.blogspot.com/2009/12/old-project.html

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That mannequin is adorable. I would even consider doing an adult size. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for this inspiration. I too had been eyeing child size dress forms for my business but they are so expensive. Using some modifications of my own, I was able to use some various scraps to make one that I could put on the post of my ladies size dress form.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your blog! I made a mannequin using this tutorial this weekend! http://www.kimheinecke.com - see your inspiration here.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea! How pretty the results are, I was searching for a crafty way to make a mannequins and yours is perfect - I'm planning do an adult size. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi there. I happened across this page a few weeks ago and it gave me inspiration for my own mannequin. I posted a link to your post today on my blog:http://wp.me/pQo0D-1F. Thanks for the inspiration. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brilliant!!! I've been looking for child size mannequin's and they are way too expensive for my needs!!!

    Thank you so very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Brillient!!! I've been looking for a child size mannequin and the price of them scare me away!!

    Thank you so very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great idea! So creative and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the post! I totally made four of these yesterday! I have been looking for this how to for about 4 months! thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is totally fabulous! I'm going to make one for myself and I'm sending my daughter in law over to make one for herself.

    Thank you for sharing this tutorial with the rest of us, as you're so right, mannequins are so expensive!

    Blessings,
    Donna

    PS I've also become a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cute mannequin! I'm going to buy one I found on Ebay for my room that I am redecorating, but this is a cool idea! The one I am getting is $49.99, and it is a full sized one for womens medium size.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fantastic! So great I shared your link on my blog! Hope you don't mind. This will help with photography. My son and I lovingly call her "Lucy", (we live in I Love Lucy's hometown.)Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fantastic! So great I shared your link on my blog! Hope you don't mind. This will help with photography. My son and I lovingly call her "Lucy", (we live in I Love Lucy's hometown.)Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fantastic! So great I shared your link on my blog! Hope you don't mind. This will help with photography. My son and I lovingly call her "Lucy", (we live in I Love Lucy's hometown.)Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much for this tutorial! I used and altered it to make a dressform for my daughter. You can see my alterations (and a link to this original) on my blog. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love your tutorials! I have just repinned a few of them onto a board on Pinterest. Thank you for your thouroughness and your imagination.
    You know how we crafters and sewers do; you see a shirt you lie and come up with a way to create it, I see your recreation and modify it to make my own version, but every step is important in the process of creating something new and unique!
    Also, I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yay for Pinterest. So very glad that I found your blog and now I can make one of these for displaying the clothes I make my granddaughter. This will do them justice instead of just a flat hanger. You can rest assured you have made a big difference to my world - and others I am sure. thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin