Thursday, December 2, 2010

Advent Calendar


I am so excited about the new look for my link party! Don't you think it's better to have pictures for the links showing? I hope you can visit each other and have fun. :)

Well, it is December; the countdown to Christmas has started in our household. Several years ago I started an advent calendar for my kids. The first year, I didn't have a fancy little house like you see in the picture. I made 25 small envelopes with a little note inside and taped them on the wall. The kids had no idea what I was trying to do at first, but soon they realized that "This is fun!”

For those small notes, I wrote down stuff like "Three golden coins"(they were chocolate candies), "Christmas movie with hot chocolate", "Bake cookies"; the list goes on.
Sometimes they will get a small gift from the dollar store.

Since there are three kids, they each take turns opening the door to see what the surprise is each morning. They get soo excited and giggly. I love watching their happy faces!

This year I have decided to do something different. I will write the usual list of things, but since they are older now, I added a couple "service" activities on the list. I know they will be so excited to be a secret Santa for someone, or shovel the drive way for our neighbor. I truly believe that "giving" gives us ultimate joy, especially around Christmas. I can't wait to see their reaction to the "service" notes.

Also, there is something different that happened this year to our advent calendar. My son Christopher came to me and said,

"Mom, when you open the calendar to get ready… DON’T OPEN the 3rd."

I was busy cooking and totally spaced that that is my birthday. Michael and Rachel were behind Christopher giggling.

"That's your birthday! Don't open and peek ok?"

I smiled and said, "Ok, I can't wait!"

I was so surprised and excited to see that my kids are growing up enough to care and do something for someone. Sometimes being a mom can be hard and exhausting (I don't know about you, but it is for me, ha! I said it!). Because of moments like this, all the hard work, time and love invested in them are totally worth it.

I shall see what they are planning for me on my birthday. :)

9 comments :

  1. i am so glad you posted what day was your bday b/c i forgot to write it down last year and i knew it was coming up!

    your house is so cute. i love the green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you include service. What a fun tradition. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday !!! I need to find one of those cute advent houses. I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day with your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Sachiko! I hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! I can't wait to see what they "got" you. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! That's so sweet of your kids to do something for you on their own.

    I remember my grandma making an advent calendar similar to this and it was so much fun for us to see what she had put inside for us each day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good week end ;) kisses

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, I liked the linky party without the pictures. I got so many more hits from your linky parties than any of the others out there- I think because people couldn't see what the project was, just had to go off a description. But I'll still participate.

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin