Saturday, August 18, 2012

Hexagon Baby Quilt

My sister-in-law just had a baby girl; I wanted to make a special something to welcome the baby... So I made a quilt.

I don't have a half hex ruler, so I used a 60 degree ruler to cut fabrics for this quilt (don't ask me why I didn't write a tutorial for this... I wasn't thinking... I started the project in the middle of the night... who knows why). When I made a hexagon quilt in the past, it was with the traditional paper piecing method, but this is a quick and easy way to create a hexagon quilt.

After I was all done, I washed the quilt, and used the dryer to dry it. I love how shrinking the fabric helps to hide the imperfections of my machine quiling skill. :)

With the leftovers, I made a mini quilt, so the baby's big sister can have the same quilt to take care of her baby dolls.

I like the picture I took inside, but it wasn't showing the true color of the quilt.

I took some pictures outside; this is the real color of the quilt. I have so much to learn in many areas, but photography is one of the thing thats I want to get better at. Isn't it so tricky sometimes?

I am planning to send them soon. I hope the real mommy and the mini-mommy will love and enjoy the quilts.


21 comments :

  1. I love the way your quilting makes the hexagons into flowers..very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely they are,you did a great job. I'd love to know the quick method. I've been making one for years using the tacking and paper method. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful! I love it. I love how they look when you shrink them after making them. I'm going to remember that technique - i want to make a quilt of some kind for my girls room

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful! I admire how you seem to whip out this beautiful quilts pretty quickly. I've been working on a small one for my SIL's baby and I just find quilting so boring after the initial excitement of putting together the fun elements. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a precious baby quilt. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!!! I have got to try a hexi quilt soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful! I would be interested in learning this technique. Could you do a mini tutorial post about how to cut it out and assemble? Thanks for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww.. your quilt is so pretty and I love that you made a little one for big sister :) And I love your quilting. I must try some more freehand quilting sometime. I know what you mean about photos - the colours can come out so different. Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet to include the big sister with a baby doll quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is such a sweet little baby girl quilt, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww super cute! I miss quilting! What kind of sewing machine do you have? Mine has kicked the bucket and we're looking to replace it in a few months. I had an old avocado green Kenmore for a few years and in the move across many states, somehow it disappeared! I liked that it wasn't finicky in the least. They just don't make them like they use to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so pretty! I love the quilting on the hexagons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sweet, lovely baby quilt!
    Perfect gift!!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful and perfect for a baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So lovely! Lucky baby girl to have such a talented aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful and perfect for a baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So so precious. The quilt is beautiful. I never thought about washing it for shrinkage. And I love that the "mini mommy" has one for her baby, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the quality and design of the qult!! Stunning, my little Girl Hope Faith would love to have that qult for her Baby Alive. What a blessing!!! You are awesome, and the gift is one of a kind!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the way your quilting creates the hexagons into flowers..very pretty and lovely. Grood job!

    home owners insurance miami

    ReplyDelete
  20. I saw both quilts last night -- they are BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin