Monday, December 10, 2012

Shoes Makeover

Sorry for the ugly picture to start this post folks...BUT this is a post about shoes makeover. These were one of my favorite shoes for a couple years. It is easy to wear, has a little bit of a heel to give me an extra inch, and it went with almost every outfit I have.

Though, it is showing its age, the structure is still fine but the leather looks awful now. They definitely have seen better days.

I always wanted to try spray painting shoes. So I did some looking around and found that spray paint for leather exists, because I googled it and saw them online, but I didn't see the color I liked. Also, if I have to pay a lot for paint and pay shipping, that kind of defeats the purpose. I have decided I will just use regular spray paint I bought for less than $4 at a local craft store and see what happens.

Here is what I did. I cleaned the shoes with leather cleaner. Then, prepped the shoes by stuffing them with paper, and put tape around the heels, so the paint won't get on those areas. I was out of masking tape, so I just used duct tape instead.

I heard that to do a thin layer of paint multiple times is the best, so I did about 7 coats of spraying, making sure to let it dry between each coat.

Then, this is what happened...

I added bows, to mimic the look of ballet shoes. I love this cheerful color of green!

It has been a few days and I have been wearing it to see if the paint is going to start cracking, but so far it is holding up and they look just fine. I will let you know if there are any problems. In the meantime, I wonder if I have any shoes that I can paint cherry pink...

12 comments :

  1. Great colour. I hope your shoes work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're fantastic !!! I like very much your great ideas...I follow you for a long time...
    Bye bye from Italy....
    Marzia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder if you Mod Podged them they be watertight too! Love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a fantastic idea! I'll have to try this out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That colour is gorgeous! And I love the addition of the bows. I remember seeing a how-to for painting shoes, and they said that putting on a layer of fabric glue first would help keep them from cracking. Something to keep in your back pocket for the next shoe-painting project :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look good! I love repurposing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is a great idea! will definitely be giving this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These came out great!! I'm so excited about this. thanks for showing how. Linda
    http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried this on 2 pairs of shoes that I loved. They looked wonderful at first, but after a couple months, they were too crackled to keep using. I'd definitely get vinyl or leather paint if I were to try this again.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin